Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving in Switzerland

 THANKSGIVING 2011
Lausanne, Switzerland
(Delicious, Home-made rolls by Holly)

We were grateful to have Thanksgiving dinner with two wonderful American families that have blessed our lives here in Lausanne. Holly Bendezu and her three girls, Maya, Lola and Elia (her husband is in the U.S. attending his father's funeral and was missed greatly) and the Nordstrum family, Lee and Elizabeth, their son, Kai and their baby girl, Margot.  Holly's twin girls are in the same school as Kai and Maya and Soren are a year apart and have many play-dates.  The Nordstrums live in our building and have helped us with translations and with the "ins and outs" of Lausanne and Swiss living.  Both women, in particular, have been wonderful supports to me I am grateful for their friendship.
 
"Let's eat!!!"
Holly, Davis and Elizabeth
The Nordstrum Family (minus Margot)

Kid's Table!!!
This is ONE of TWO turkeys I made!  (I couldn't find a turkey larger than 9.5lbs). They are French turkeys!!!
I was in charge of the turkey, gravy, yams and green beans with creme.  Elizabeth and Lee made the stuffing from scratch with sausage, pecans, etc.  Holly made her famous Ohio "Tator-tot" potatoes and amazing rolls that we politely fought over...and the pies: pumpkin and apple, by Elizabeth (who brought a can of pumpkin pie mix from the U.S!).
The Feast!
I made my own cranberry sauce.  Cranberries, orange juice, sugar and pieces of orange (with a dash of cinnamon).   I boiled them all together and was actually impressed that I accomplished this easy feat.  My family has now made a request to ban canned cranberry sauce and would like my home-made sauce for all future Thanksgivings! Thanks guys!!!
Elizabeth's apple pie
And what would Thanksgiving be without some super American heroes!?!?

1 comment:

  1. Tres bien! I can't believe how amazing the food looks! (Of course, the LaFleur's would never have canned cranberry sauce... so fortunate of you to stumble upon the real good stuff in Lausanne out of a blatant 'need'.) It's amazing how you're keeping up with all of your traditions so far away from home. You're doing a splendid job. Nothing less than 200% and what I would expect from "The" Davis Patchell. ;-) P.S. - Holiday table setting photo is beautiful and a nice touch for the blog.

    ReplyDelete