Like the U.S., Switzerland is facing similar immigration problems. They have great medical help, free public schools, subsidized housing, etc. which attract people from all over the world. Some are tired of this influx of people and want Switzerland to tighten its borders and make it difficult for more "outsiders" to come in and continue to drain the system. A main difference, however, between the U.S. and Switzerland is citizenship. Unlike the U.S. the Swiss do not allow automatic citizenship to babies born in Switzerland or people who have lived here for 25 years, you have to be Swiss by blood. If you have a baby here, your baby is what the mother is. You must apply for a passport for your child from your native country. In fact, if a Swiss person marries someone who is not Swiss, the foreign spouse does not automatically become Swiss. They must apply. And quite often, so I am told, they are denied. They must pass an intricate test which includes knowing how to make fondue, history questions and a language test to name a few. You must pass. Their children can be Swiss if at least one parent is Swiss. The Swiss are very proud of their heritage and want to preserve it. They do give "residency" to outsiders. This is how we are allowed to stay "legally". One applies and shows proof of work along with birth certificates, passports and marriage certificates. After approval, you are granted residency and they give you a Swiss I.D. card. Your card and residency must be renewed yearly. If you no longer have a job, you must leave.
However, there are some who think this anti-immigration propaganda is not right. They compare the leaders of this movement to the Nazis. They believe people should be able to have a better life outside of their economically struggling countries (such as Africa, South America, Portugal, etc.). One way the Swiss deal with this problem is "integration" programs. They feel if you are going to come here, legally or not, they will educate your children, teach them French (or German depending on where you are in Switzerland) and make them fit into their society. My children happen to be in these programs. They are given heavy loads of French each day, up to 4 hours, and also study geography and the history of Switzerland. I believe this is a good idea. Why not appreciate the country you are living in? Sometimes I think people come to America and do not appreciate what they are given. If you are going to take advantage of a country's generosity and all it has to offer, be proud and grateful. I believe our American forefathers and early immigrants felt this way. Sometimes I feel those living in America who are U.S. born citizens don't appreciate what they have! The Swiss are very proud and will make arguments to protect and back their county. I have yet to hear a native criticize Switzerland! Daily, hourly, in America, U.S. citizens complain and criticize our wonderful country!!!
The solution? I do not know. The populations of third world countries seems to be larger and growing more consistently than those "Western" nations who are all currently facing a flooding of immigrants. Where there is work and wealth, they will come!


Agree! (But I had to laugh out loud when you said a requirement was: "Know how to make Fondue".) For a second I thought you were going down some humorous path of prose. Not so, I'm certain! Alas, I will never be Swiss with that requirement. But I'll be Mexican! (I made Queso Caliente in my nifty mini-crockpot and ate Nachos.) :-)
ReplyDelete